|Simple breakfast pancakes and frozen waffles. (I cheated by buying frozen waffles! *giggles*)|
These pancakes are really easy to make, I swear you can make them with your eyes closed. *exaggerating* I have always been using Martha Stewart's recipe for our breakfast pancakes. They only need simple everyday ingredients, and you can whip them up in less than 30 minutes. However, I noticed that they don't turn out so well over fire. Perfectly edible, but not as fluffy and golden brown as when you make them over the electric griddle.
Easy Basic Pancakes Recipe by Martha Stewart:
1 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
2 tablespoons sugar (I used normal daily kitchen sugar)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, or vegetable oil (I used 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for frying (my electric griddle did not need any oil)
Assorted toppings, such as butter, maple syrup, confectioners' sugar, honey, jams, preserves, sweetened whipped cream, or chocolate syrup
Method of Preparation:
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter (or oil), and egg. Add dry ingredients to milk mixture; whisk until just moistened (do not overmix; a few small lumps are fine).
- Heat a large skillet (nonstick or cast-iron) or griddle over medium. Fold a sheet of paper towel in half, and moisten with oil; carefully rub skillet with oiled paper towel.
- For each pancake, spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of batter onto skillet, using the back of the spoon to spread batter into a round (you should be able to fit 2 to 3 in a large skillet).
- Cook until surface of pancakes have some bubbles and a few have burst, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip carefully with a thin spatula, and cook until browned on the underside, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- This recipe will yield 12 to 15 pancakes. Serve warm, with desired toppings.
|Carried this electric griddle all the way from Houston to Malaysia. Such a cheap buy too! It was only USD18, times 3.2 (not current currency) and tax, equals ~RM64!|
|Pretty bubbles on the pancake.|
|Flip it over, and you get beautiful golden brown pancakes. *drool*|
|Best served with honey, maple syrup or chocolate sauce. Scrumptious!|
|Simple to fill, and simple to clean too.|
|Excuse the sorry looking pancake on the left. It wasn't really easy juggling the dispenser and a camera all at the same time.|
I bet you're looking forward to the weekend to try the recipe out. Certainly gives you a perfect start to your day. Let me know how it turns out by leaving a comment below! Good luck!
Tip of the day: For fluffy pancakes, as soon as you see small bubbles on top of the pancake, immediately flip it over. It will rise beautifully. Do not wait for the bubbles to enlarge. When cooking over fire, keep the fire small. While waiting for the next batch of pancakes to cook, you can stack the pancakes on a plate covered with a tea towel so that they will stay warm and moist.