Saturday, October 2, 2010

Udang Nestum (Prawn in Oatmeal)

Remember the delicious udang nestum that I blogged about sometime ago? Well my sister claims that she can make the same so she gave me the recipe. Knowing how nuts my hubby can get over udang nestum, I decided to give it a try.

For this recipe, you will need:

King sized prawns (smaller prawns tak puas makan!)
Butter for frying
One clove of garlic
Cili api - chopped
Daun kari, one handful or so
Susu cair, quarter cup or so

Sounds easy, eh?

Clean the prawns (disect the back and remove all the dirt) and fry the prawns in butter. Frying the prawns in butter gives it a better taste rather than frying them in oil.

Remember to stir frequently.

Remove the prawns from the pan. If you are consious about health, you may place them on a cooking tissue to drain the excess oil.

In a clean pan, melt the butter and then fry the garlic, chopped cili api and curry leaves.

Sauté for a while until fragrant. It should look something like this.

Add the susu cair. Note that this was my first try so in the picture above I poured a tad too much so I had to drain it twice! So remember, not too much. You should budget it so that it is just enough to coat the prawns later. Wait for the susu cair to turn bubbly.

Throw the prawns in and mix well.

Turn off the fire. Add in the nestum and mix well. Put in lots and lots of nestum! When adding the nestum, don't mix it for too long, because if you do, the nestum will turn soft and soggy.

I learned this the hard way. Look at my nestum, they have all turned soggy! However, Hubby said that the taste is there. I just don't know how to make it crunchy like how the restaurant serves it. Anyone knows how?

Serve it with hot white rice and probably another dish yang berkuah because the udang nestum is dry. I served it with Ikan Bawal Masak Sweet Sour. Happy trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you in advance for leaving a comment. ;) All comments are moderated. Liz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...